Saturday, August 15, 2020

Milestone

While we've all been consumed by the pandemic, in ways large and small, I've quietly reached a milestone: five years since my breast cancer diagnosis and surgery. In the world of oncology, five years is considered a milestone because most recurrences happen within that time. About a week ago I had my final annual checkup with my breast surgeon (knock on wood). As she put it, "Now I fade into the background." I'll continue to see my oncologist annually for another five years, and I'll keep taking medication that's supposed to prevent recurrences. 

I'm happy to have reached this point, but I'm not whooping it up in celebration. Why not? I can think of a few reasons. First, there's a sh*tshow going on around us, and I'm too distracted to get excited. Second, I'm a realist. None of us knows what could happen tomorrow. And third, I didn't suddenly reach this point. I've been going through the last five years day by day, procedure by procedure, appointment by appointment. Still, I am grateful.

Some people have suggested I make my little blog available to a wide audience, or even turn it into a book. I'm not planning on it. But if you know anyone who could benefit from my blog, please share it with them. Just be aware that not everyone who has been in my position will want to read it. Reading about others with cancer did not comfort me when I was going through it. It made me feel anxious and upset. But it was comforting to speak with a couple of people on the phone about their experiences with chemo and radiation. I'm happy to talk to anyone who needs information or reassurance. 

Thank you to everyone who has supported me. I'm here for you, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment