Thank you for the kind, thoughtful, and supportive comments, emails, and private messages. I know this sounds trite, but I'm grateful you're in my life. I have friends and family from the west coast to the east and from the midwest to the south, from my childhood to my kids' childhood, the schools I've attended, the jobs I've held, and the interests I've pursued. To have you all in one place, even if it is virtual, is a great feeling.
Now, friends, I need to clarify the "rules" I established in my first post. When I wrote that I'd like you to use initials in your comments, I meant only if you refer to me, my family members, or anyone I refer to in my posts. You are free to use your own name if you'd like. But it has been fun figuring out who wrote which comment!
Some of you asked me how chemo is going, so I thought it might be helpful to devote a blog post to the subject. Just as there are many types of cancer, there are many types of chemotherapy. I didn't realize this before I attended Chemo 101, which wasn't actually a class but a meeting with a nurse who explained which chemo medicines (poisons?) I'd be receiving, what would happen during a treatment, what kind of side effects I should expect, and the precautions I should take.
Here's the lowdown on my treatments. I will have four sessions total, spaced three weeks apart. I've been through the first two (the second was last Wednesday); the third will be on Oct. 21, and the final one will be on Nov. 12. The day before a treatment, I start taking Decadron, which is a steroid. I also take it the day of the treatment and the next day. On the day of a treatment, I go to a suburban outpost of my hospital at 8 or 8:30 a.m. I get blood drawn and then I wait for about an hour to get my vitals taken and to meet with the oncologist briefly. Then it's on to the infusion room, which is large enough for a comfortable recliner for me and another chair for whoever has come with me. (My husband, JJ, has come with me to both sessions, although he had to leave early from the second one, so a friend picked me up.) A nurse starts an IV and hooks me up to a bag of saline, which flushes my system. After about 20 or 30 minutes, the nurse hooks me up to the first medication, Taxotere. It takes about an hour to go through that bag, after which the nurse switches me to the second medication, Cytoxan. That takes about an hour also. At some point I'm given anti-nausea pills. The hospital provides sandwiches and snacks. When I leave I feel a bit unsteady. Once I get home, I take a nap. That's day 1.
This may sound weird, but I've found my treatments kind of comforting. Aside from the discomfort of the needles, I don't feel any pain. I sit in a comfy chair with heated blankets on my lap and read People magazine or watch Netflix on my laptop while kind nurses tend to me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm queen for the day, but it almost feels like that.
On day 2 I'm feeling a little more tired, and my digestive system is a little off, although I don't feel sick. I start a three-day regimen of anti-nausea medication, and in the afternoon or evening JJ gives me a shot in the abdomen of a medication called Neulasta, which helps the body create white blood cells. The shot doesn't really hurt because the needle is short. I think it's the same kind of needle used for insulin injections. I could probably give the shot to myself, but I don't want to.
Days 3 and 4 have been the worst. I feel agitated and can't focus on anything, not even "House Hunters," so mostly I sleep. But it's not a relaxing sleep. It's more like I don't have the energy or attention to do anything else, so I might as well sleep. I eat little bits frequently and try to get some fresh air when I can.
Day 5 is the big turnaround. This session, on day 5 I felt a lot less tired and my appetite returned. In the first session, on day 5 I went from feeling like I had ADD to feeling like I had ADHD. I was wired. I couldn't sleep (and had insomnia for about the next five or six days) but boy was I productive. I ran about seven errands before 10 a.m. and even did an art project for my bathroom wall. This time around the insomnia hasn't been as bad. I've had some trouble sleeping, but I haven't been up all night.
According to Dr. M, my oncologist, my side effects are mild, so I'm glad about that. Here are my most prevalent side effects:
- Hair loss: It starting coming out two weeks ago, and it's now about 75% gone. My hair is thick, so for about a week the loss wasn't noticeable. Then I started wearing a hat, and yesterday I bought a wig. Those of you who knew me in college, my wig is short like that. I got a short one because I've read that the transition from the wig to my own hair, once it starts coming back, will be less noticeable.
- Dry mouth: Nothing helps. I keep thinking of this '80s commercial for Gator Gum.
- Adult acne: Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet this time, but in the first cycle I got to relive the '80s.
Oral hygiene is important during chemo in order to prevent infection, so I have to brush and floss after every meal. I also rinse with salt water at least once a day.
There you have it, my life with chemo. The prospect was scary, but now that I'm in the midst of it, I know I can handle it. And if I can handle it, anyone can.
I love your sense of humor and appreciate your candor while discussing something very personal and difficult. You WILL get through this and having your loving family by your side (and friends too!) will help immensely. Stay strong and remember that there are lots of people sending you positive thoughts and lots of love. I'll bet you look fabulous with short hair and are totally rocking it! xoxo Tina
ReplyDeleteI loved your short hair and I know you're rocking it again! Thanks for sharing your experience. Please know that my love and most positive thoughts are coming your way. I'm keeping a good thought for your family, too. Hugs!! Love, Kathy Stoyle
ReplyDeleteYou write about this overwhelming experience with such humor and grace--though this should not surprise me coming from JR. I hope you will keep all of these posts and turn them into a book that will inspire and help many others. love, "KC" (I enjoy using the cloak-and-dagger initials even if I don't have to.)
ReplyDelete